I got sort of a business proposal in the mail today. In the domain name business. The situation is, my domain name seems to be too attractive not to make a bid for. To quote the email:
Dear owner of dionaea.com,
I noticeded that your domain “dionaea.com” expires in a few weeks, which means that it is going to be publicly available soon. I’d like to buy this domain name before it expires.
I assume that you are not interested in keeping it for yourself.
I can buy this domain for $60 plus any renewal related expenses. What do you think?
I’ll leave out the name of the sender, that’s not important.
So, I get an offer for my domain. Fair enough. If one want something, it’s always worth a try asking if there’s a chance getting it, for some amount of money or other. I don’t mind getting an offer.
What gets to me though, is the followup, where the sender of the mail assumes that I’m not interested in keeping the domain for myself. Uhm, excuse me? I not only have the domain name, I also have a web site under that domain, and it’s most certainly in use. This blog admittedly hasn’t been updated in a while, but that’s just one part of the site. In order to be able to do all I do on this domain, I’m most certainly interested in keeping it for myself. Anyone’s more than welcome to visit though, and hopefully get some pleasure or use from these pages.
So sorry, the domain is not for sale. It will be renewed, as usual.
When moving, there’s often a lot more to take with you than you expected, and once installed in your new home, there may be some small things that you don’t seem to find again, or something. So it is with me.
OK, I’ve only moved my site to a new host, but there is the small things here and there that may not be in place yet. I struggled a bit with the databases I had started to use, but I managed to get them over and populated. It looks like they work now – well, except for my Norwegian blog… I haven’t quite figured why that one should behave different, but I don’t worry much. It’ll work out in the end.
Maybe there is a few more things to do (just remembered that I have to check the hi-score table of the breakout game – it needs to be writable… ;)) but things seems to fall in place.
This post was mainly written to spread the joy I feel right now because of that. 😉
The Bitty browser looks like a cool feature – but how should I use it? For quite some time – or a couple of days a least – I didn’t have any idea for any useful use for my site.
I still don’t know if it’s anything useful, but at least I had an idea: Maybe I could use it as a preview of what my updates-feed for the site is like? The blog(s) aren’t mentioned there, as they have their own feeds, but the updates of the rest of the site – rare as they are – are duly in place.
Maybe I could make a page which links to the different feeds instead of just showing the updates feed, but…
Check it out – is it a good idea?
What is going on here? I’m looking at my statistics, and find that for April Opera is represented by 16.2% of the browsers visiting my site. Those who have read my previous numbers see that there were quite a growth in Opera usage the first four months after I changed host, but it didn’t continue to grow like that. It stopped at 7-8%, with a dip down to 5.6% in March.
That Opera 8 was released in April could of course be an explaination – but these numbers were obvious early on, long before the release, so the explaination must be somewhere else. It will be interesting to see how May will turn out.
To continue with the numbers for the browsers I presented in January:
I’ll be crossing my fingers and hope that Opera won’t dip down again – at least not by much.After all, it is a terrific browser. 😉